The holidays are just around the corner, and while gatherings will look a little different this year, holiday celebrations with your family and close friends will still be abundant. There are many things to keep in mind when entertaining, from food prep to traveling; however, something that is often pushed aside but is the most important is everyone’s safety.
Holiday cooking tips:
Did you know that Thanksgiving Day is the number one day for home cooking fires, followed by Christmas and Christmas Eve? In 2017 alone, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 1,600 home cooking fires on Thanksgiving.
Kitchen safety should be top of mind during holiday celebrations. Protect your home and your family with these quick tips to ensure your Thanksgiving is a success.
- Gather in your kitchen as you cook, which will help avoid the leading contributing factor in cooking– unattended food.
- Make sure to clean all cooking equipment before use to help prevent failure of your equipment.
- If you choose to fry your turkey, do so away from your home. The garage is not a safe place to fry either; try setting up in your front or backyard.
Thanksgiving driving tips:
Thanksgiving is the most traveled holiday of the year and a cause of why DUI arrests skyrocket between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve. The day before Thanksgiving is even referred to as “Black Wednesday” because it is the busiest night of the year for bars. Here are a few quick holiday travel tips for keeping the roads a safe place during the holiday season.
- Never drive while under the influence. Call a friend or get an Uber to take you home.
- Know how to get to your destination or get a phone mount for your car so you are not continually looking at your phone.
- Leave at a reasonable time to avoid compromised drivers.
If you have any questions about how to better prepare for the holidays, or if you're looking for an insurance agent providing Central Florida with home insurance and auto insurance coverage options, feel free to message us on Facebook or email me!